Barnyard Millet Bisi Bele Bath Recipe
Prep Time – 15 mins
Cook Time - 90 mins
Makes: 4 Servings
- Pearl onions (Sambar Onions), peeled – 10 nos.
- Green Capsicum, diced – 1 no.
- Carrots, diced – 2 nos.
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Beans, diced – ½ cup
- Potato, peeled and diced – 1 no.
- Drumstick, cut into 1 inch pieces – 1 no.
- Tomatoes, roughly chopped – 2 nos.
- Bisi bele bath spice powder – ¼ cup
- Tamarind Water – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 2 tspn.
- Barnyard Millet – 1 cup
- Split Toor Dal – 1 cu
- Turmeric powder – ½ tspn.
- Ghee – 1 tspn.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn.
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – ½ tspn.
- Dry Red Chilli – 2 nos.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
- To begin making the Barnyard Millet Bisi Bele Bath Recipe, in a large pressure cooker, we will add the tamarind water, jaggery, the drumsticks, pearl onions, beans, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, salt and finally the Bisi bele bath powder
- Stir all the ingredients well. Cover the pressure cooker, place the weight and allow the vegetables to cook until you hear at least 2 whistles and turn off the heat.
- Since the vegetables cook very quickly, we will release the pressure by running cold water over the pressure cooker. This process helps to bring the pressure down immediately. Open the pressure cooker and keep the vegetable curry aside.
- The next step is to cook the barnyard millet and the dal. To the pressure cooker add in the barnyard millet, the toor dal, the turmeric powder, salt and 5 cups of water. Cover the cooker and place the weight on the pressure cooker. Turn the heat to high and allow the rice to cook until you hear two whistles.
- After you hear the whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer for five minutes. After 5 minutes have passed, turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally. The millets and the rice continue to cook in this resting period, hence wait for the pressure to release completely.
- While we are waiting for the pressure to release, Lets proceed to make the seasoning.
- Heat a small pan on medium heat. Add in a tablespoon of ghee and allow it to melt. Add in the mustard seeds, the cumin seeds. Allow it to crackle. Then add in the red chilli, curry leaves and roast them until the red chillies are browned lightly. Stir to roast the ingredients well. Once roasted keep this aside.
- Once the pressure is released, add in the spicy vegetable tamarind curry. Stir all the ingredients together until well combined and the mixture looks like a mish mash. At this stage add in the prepared seasoning and two more tablespoons of ghee. Once again give the mixture a good stir. Check the salt and adjust to suit your taste.
- Transfer the Barnyard Millet Bisi Bele Bath to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and the fried boondi on top.
Pic & Recipe Courtesy: archanaskitchen.com