Ragi Juice/ Vegan Milk
Finger Millet – ‘Ragi’ is loaded with protein, amino acids and has the highest calcium content of all cereals. As ragi is low in fat and high in protein, its daily consumption can promote weight loss and control blood sugar level.
Check out how to make Ragi Juice/Ragi Milk
- Whole Ragi grains – 1 cup
- Almonds – 6
- Grated coconut – ¼ cup
- Cardamom – 2 pods
- Jaggery – as per taste
- Water – As required
Soak Time : 4 -5 hours
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
- To begin with, add 1 cup of ragi into a bowl
- Wash nicely in water, 2 – 3 times to remove dust particles
- To the washed ragi, add almonds and soak it in 2 cups of water for a minimum of 4 – 5 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water and transfer the soaked ragi into a mixer jar. Add fresh coconut, cardamom, water and grind it really smooth.
- Filter the ground Ragi using a strainer. Use a spoon or ladle. Press the puree nicely using a back of a ladle or use hands to extract the juice nicely.
- Transfer the leftover ragi paste collected in the sieve back to the mixer jar and repeat the process 2 -3 times till you extract all the juice from the ground paste.
- Now Sugar-less ragi milk is ready. You may add water and jaggery according to your preference and mix well.
That’s it! Super healthy and very nutritious ragi milk is ready. You could serve as such or keep in fridge and serve chilled.
- If you observe, ragi milk collected initially will be of thick consistency. Later as you keep adding water and grinding the consistency will get thinner.
- After filtering ragi milk almost 3 times, this is the ragi extract that’s leftover at last. If you observe this is mainly ragi skin. Almost all the juice from the ground ragi paste has been extracted.