Jowar (Sorghum) Khichdi Recipe
Prep Time - 10 min
Cook Time - 20 min
Servings – 2
- 1 cup jowar (sorghum)
- 2.5 cups water
- ¼ cup moong dal
- Big Onion – 1
- Corriander leaves finely chopped
- Coconut grated – 2 tbspn
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Split urud dal – ½ tsp
- Curry leaves – a small sprig
- Red chillies – 2
- Hing – A pinch
- Salt to taste
- Rinse jowar well and soak it overnight.
- Next day morning, pressure cook with water for 5-6 whistles. Drain water and set aside
- Roast moong dal till slightly golden, then cook it with enough water till soft
- Heat a pan with oil and add the items listed under ‘to temper’ and let it splutter.
- Add onion and fry till translucent.
- Add cooked moong dal and sauté for a minute. Add required salt
- Now add cooked jowar and mix well. Cook for 3-5 mins until it blends well.
- Switch off. Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves. Jowar khichdi is ready!
- Jowar takes time to cook. So pressure cooking is preferred
- One can add any vegetable of our choice and sauté along with onion.
Pic & Recipe Courtesy: Sharmispassions.com